July 14, 2006

Aftermath...2 days later




I could see Mumbai back to its bustling pace,
Right back to its mad race,
There was a strange stench in the air,
There still was fear,
But there was a false will to dare,
Yes, there were watery eyes and weak smiles,
and there was a loud eerie silence,
But there was a forlorn search for life between all those deaths,
I plucked some hope from this crowd,
'Get on with life', the message was clear and loud,
Then I took a cab and headed to a hospital,
Written on it's walls,
Was "Did he make it or did he not?",
Lists that told you that life, for some, was suddenly short,
I'll never know, the fear in those who glanced at these,
and that buried feeling of those who were slaughtered to eternal peace,
And then I saw,
White walls and white bedsheets,
Red blood and pale faces,
How I wish,
My memory could erase this dreadful picture,
My wounded heart could use some suture,
In mad fury,
I ran and ran till I banged into someone,
He shouted back, "ARE YOU BLIND?",
I mumbled, "Well I wish I really were",
"I just wanna feign that I really don't care",
Coz, Everyone seems resigned to fate,
Coz, Everyone is offering a phony fight.

No comments: