November 09, 2005

A Game of Chess

Thirty two nicely done pieces,
On a confined arena of sixty four squares,
One may ask aren't there more,
Math has the answer, so I don't much care,
Where he was black and I was white,
I dared to challenge his overpowering might,
Passed an hour, and I was almost in tears,
Coz I wasn't left with too many pieces,
And I had to play, with a real stone face,
Hoping dearly for some saving grace!!

At g8 was his King,
While Pawns on g7 and h7 were shielding him,
His Rooks at b8 and d8, were on either side,
Of his Queen at c8, as though she were a bride!
Two more of his Pawns at c7 & d7,
And he knew his defence was craftily woven,
Aha! His lazy Bishop at c5,
Hasn't moved an inch, for a pretty long time now,
And at b6 was his another Pawn,
Furtively stealing a nap and I did see him yawn!!

At g4 was my helpless Bishop,
Beaten black and blue, though its sleeves seemed well rolled up,
My lonely warrior Knight at f7, was asking me, "Master, Can I do somethin",
Two lone Pawns of mine at f2 & g2,
Were hoping to know, where I was really heading to,
My clueless Queen on c4, didn't know much of what was in store,
Placed my last Pawn on h4 block,
Was bewildered, frightened and in utter shock,
While my King was found "lost hope" at g1,
Praying to God, for a loaded gun!!

So, I was here,
On a game that wasn't apparently nerve biting,
Favoring him it really did seem, while I thought, I was on the verge of losing,
Standing out of space, were my powers that were truly captured,
A thought flashed,
And I saw an opportunity, so well disguised,
Then I knew, I was to win this one,
Coz such is this mysterious game,
Its not just the powers,
Its what you can do with them that brings you the name and fame,
For only if you think ahead, you can win over' him,
Not only with pieces, but inspite of them!!

And then I moved my Knight to h6 and whispered "Mate",
His King had no option but to move to square h8,
Merrily to g8, my Queen did dance down,
Knowing too well, that it would be savored on,
"Why this sacrifice"? , probably thought he,
Wondering if something stunning, is gonna be,
His Rook struck and my Queen was displaced,
And now he did see, how badly his King was misplaced,
"Checkmate" was on, as to f7, galloped my Knight,
And his King had no place to move, let alone offer a fight!!

I am not quite sure of the person,
Who said these words of divine wisdom,
"Whether you think you can't,Or you think you can actually do,
You always end up proving yourself true",
Now that's the case with everything,
Of all that is linked to a human being,
And so it's the same,
With this wily board of CHESS,
The true game of sheer BRILLIANCE!!

No comments: